Pages

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

#SaveOlympicWrestling

In 1992, an overweight 8th grader rocking a mullet, with delusions of grandeur would sign up for Wrestling on his Summer Registration.  Completely oblivious to what armature wrestling even was, I wanted to be a big pro wrestling star, like Hulk Hogan.  Again, delusions.  Had I been rational, I would have looked up what wrestling was.  Had I been intelligent, I would have done some research.  Unfortunately I had no clue what I was getting into, fortunately for me... it was one of the best decisions of my life.

It was announced today that the International Olympic Committee would remove Wrestling from the 2020 Olympics.  This includes both Freestyle and Greco-Roman Wrestling.  Wrestling dates back to ancient Olympics and has been apart of the Summer Olympics since 1904 (missing the 1900 Olympics).  Wrestling in it's true essence is a sport where every faucet of a competitor is tested against an opponent who is also being tested.  Quick thinking, strength, endurance, speed, and technique are all needed to compete.  Wrestling doesn't have a larger avenue than the Olympics to showcase the sport.  With the removal of Wrestling from the 2020 Summer Olympics, the sport has received a severe blow.

Greens... the nick name for my own personal hell on earth.  When Coached yelled out Greens, I knew that I was in for some trouble.  One Green was the equivalent of 2 1/2 laps on the track.  We would run about 4-6 Greens a couple of miles a day.  This was just warming up.  Really all of the conditioning I hate.  Everyday I felt like quitting.  Every day I felt like I was going to give up.  Every time we ran, I felt like my lungs were going to explode, I felt like was going to vomit (a couple of times I did, one time in front of the cheerleaders), I felt like I was going to pass out.  Everyday I was challenged, tested, physically and emotionally exhausted.  Yet, everyday I returned... not always looking forward to it.  But always proud of what I did.Through wrestling; I lost weight, I learned leadership, I learned humility, respect, and discipline.  I gained self-confidence and I gained leadership.  I lost many times.  I was embarrassed. I never quit.  Wrestling made me mentally tough, helped me prepare for life. 

I had no delusions after my four years of wrestling.  Outside out a win and a lose at the LA Watts Summer Games, I knew I wouldn't wrestle outside of school.  My wrestling aspirations ended at the CIF Team Tournament.  Many of my team mates went to the CIF Masters or State Tournaments.  I don't remember if any of them went to college on a wrestling related scholarship.  But with the Olympics being the Grand Stage of Wrestling, its a shame that the IOC has determined to remove it from Future Olympics.  Because of the Olympics, I knew of the murder of Dave Schultz.  I knew of Kurt Angle winning his Olympic Gold Medal.  I got to watch I got to watch Rulon Gardner defeat Aleksandr Karelin, to defeat the man who was undefeated. 

Not sure if this will help: but if you care sign this petition:
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/help-our-voice-reach-international-olympic-committee-show-support-reinstating-wrestling-olympics/hr71txrz

#SaveOlympicWrestling

No comments:

Search & Win